The DESSA Empowering Parents Programme seeks to support parents to acquire the knowledge and skills to effectively advocate on behalf of their children.
The Empowering Parents Programme is a 6 week programme (2.5 hours per week) for the parents of young children with disabilities, including learning disabilities e.g. ADHD, Dyslexia, Autism Spectrum disorders etc. It’s local and it’s free of charge.
“Empowering Parents” will:
- show you new ways of thinking about your child’s disability, which will help you to see new possibilities and ways of doing things
- tell you about your child’s rights, and how to achieve them
- explain who can help you to get what you need from public services and your local community
- help you to build your confidence and keep your spirits up!
- Disability and Inclusion
- Legislation and Policy
- Inclusion in Education
- Advocacy Skills and Strategies
- Meeting Parents Emotional Needs